Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Share | 

Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MJKC
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Male
Location Pasig City

PostSubject: Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)   Wed May 26, 2010 1:56 pm

Perhaps this will be my perfect scorpion for me. . .

The Deathstalker Scorpion is no play-time scorpion. Known for having one of the most potent venoms out of all the scorpion species, if not the most, the Deathstalker Scorpion can create a highly dangerous situation for someone who has been stung. For advanced keepers who have the need to keep a dangerous scorpion like this, be very careful because the possibility of being stung is always there, no matter how "advanced" you know you are. With that said, I can move on. The Deathstalker Scorpion is a fairly large and aggressive scorpion species. There may be different color variations of this species in the wild, depending on locality, but it's not certain. The Deathstalker Scorpion is a bright and attractive species, with a relatively thin tail, which is unusual for venomous scorpions. Overall, when keeping the Deathstalker Scorpion, or any venomous arachnid for that matter, make sure it's in a container that it can't escape from, and never loose respect for the animal when you're dealing with it. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s98432512
OverseA

OverseA  MembeR

Male
Location Malaysia

PostSubject: Re: Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)   Wed May 26, 2010 10:36 pm

MJKC wrote:
Perhaps this will be my perfect scorpion for me. . .

The Deathstalker Scorpion is no play-time scorpion. Known for having one of the most potent venoms out of all the scorpion species, if not the most, the Deathstalker Scorpion can create a highly dangerous situation for someone who has been stung. For advanced keepers who have the need to keep a dangerous scorpion like this, be very careful because the possibility of being stung is always there, no matter how "advanced" you know you are. With that said, I can move on. The Deathstalker Scorpion is a fairly large and aggressive scorpion species. There may be different color variations of this species in the wild, depending on locality, but it's not certain. The Deathstalker Scorpion is a bright and attractive species, with a relatively thin tail, which is unusual for venomous scorpions. Overall, when keeping the Deathstalker Scorpion, or any venomous arachnid for that matter, make sure it's in a container that it can't escape from, and never loose respect for the animal when you're dealing with it. Evil or Very Mad

Very interesting topic on this specimens sir MJKC, i do have agree with you..

Do let me touch in further details on this specimen as recently my local forum group have a discussion on this and i would like to share with the hobbist here too.

The deathstalker (Leiurus quinquestriatus), is a species of scorpion from the Buthidae family. It is also known the israeli desert scorpion and numerous other colloquial names, which generally originate from the commercial captive trade of the animal. To eliminate confusion, especially with potentially dangerous species, the scientific name is normally used to refer to them. The name Leiurus quinquestriatus roughly translates into English as "five-striped smooth-tail". Other species of the genus Leiurus are often referred to as "deathstalkers" as well.

Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Subphylum: Chelicerata
Class: Arachnida
Order: Scorpiones
Family: Buthidae
Genus: Leiurus
Species: L. quinquestriatus
Binomial name : Leiurus quinquestriatus

The deathstalker is regarded as a highly dangerous species because its venom is a powerful cocktail of neurotoxins, with a LD50 rating. While a sting from this scorpion is extremely painful, it normally would not kill an otherwise healthy adult human. However, young children, the elderly, or infirm (such as those with a heart condition or those who are allergic) would be at much greater risk. Any envenomation runs the risk of anaphylaxis, a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction to the venom. If a sting from Leiurus quinquestriatus does prove fatal, the cause of death is usually pulmonary edema. The German pharmaceutical company Twyford and the French pharmaceutical company Sanofi Pasteur both make an antivenom intended for the treatment of deathstalker envenomations.

Neurotoxins in L.quinquestriatus venom include the following:

Chlorotoxin
Charybdotoxin
Scyllatoxin
Agitoxins type 1, 2 and 3

a newly molted 5th instar Leiurus quinquestriatus of mine back a couple of months ago ..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MJKC
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Male
Location Pasig City

PostSubject: Re: Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)   Thu May 27, 2010 11:46 am

thumbs up tnx sir. . . ur 5th instar Deathstalker is cool. . . it has so bright colors. . . thumbs up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MJKC
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Male
Location Pasig City

PostSubject: Re: Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)   Thu May 27, 2010 11:47 am

s98432512 tnx sir. . . ur such a kind man. . . thanks for adding up caresheets and informations about one of my favorite Scorpions. . . thumbs up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
c4rock

PostSubject: Re: Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)   Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:39 pm

can anyone please post the count of pectine for sexing or sexual dimorphism of this species.. it would help a lot of hobbyist to determine the sex of LQ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

PostSubject: Re: Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)   Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Leiurus Quinquestriatus

Males have noticeably longer metasomas and slightly more elongated chela than females.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
|=|[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]|=|[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]|=|[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]|=|
|=|[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]|=|[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]|=|
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pep9.nstars.org/
BradPitbull
Super

Super  Moderator

Male
Location Here, There and Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)   Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:57 am

Tattoo wrote:
Leiurus Quinquestriatus

Males have noticeably longer metasomas and slightly more elongated chela than females.

noted, i'll try to check my lq's Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gudb0i

Male
Location nueva ecija

PostSubject: Re: Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)   Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:12 pm

i think it is a must have for hobbyist like us... Smile up sir!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reeian

Male
Location Zamboanga City

PostSubject: Re: Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)   Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:32 am

december magkakaroon na me nyan hahahha. rawr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reeian

Male
Location Zamboanga City

PostSubject: Re: Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)   Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 pm

pa post na man ng care sheet nito ^^ ung d galing sa net, ung through personal experience talga heheh

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kokitz

Male
Location novaliches

PostSubject: Re: Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)   Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:15 pm

i got 1 fem from exotic boi...hhehehehe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guysack

Male
Location quezon city philippines

PostSubject: Re: Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)   Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:49 pm

ang geographical range ng LQ is from north africa and middle east

north africa
-Egypt
-Algeria
-Tunisia
-Morocco
-Libya

Middle East
-Saudi Arabia
-Israel
-Jordan
-Lebanon
-Syria
-Oman
-Qatar
-UAE
-Turkey
-Yemen
-Iraq
-Iran
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emwhy12

Male
Location Alabang, Muntinlupa

PostSubject: Re: Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)   Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:17 pm

Guys.. pa post nmn ng pics ng Male and Female LQ's nyo... pra for comparison.. gus2 q lng mksiguro na tama yung pg identify q sa LQ's q.. hehehe.. Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)   

Back to top Go down

Deathstalker Scorpion a.k.a (Leiurus quinquestriatus)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1